Friday, September 3, 2010

EDIM 514 Introduction

Hello from the West Coast!

My name is Sara Douglas and I am currently in my third class at Wilkes. Personally, I love to travel, read, cook and play. I adore my family: 2 daughters in high school, a husband, a shelter dog and 2 horses. I live in Modesto (the central valley of California) among almond orchards, approx. 90 minutes East of San Francisco/South of Sacramento. My friends and I like to train for endurance events (cheap therapy) and have done some century bike rides, half-marathons and Olympic distance triathlons.

I have taught various grades over the last 22 years and specialize in English as a Second Language and Dyslexia testing and tutoring. I have just started my 10th year as an Advisory Teacher at a K-8th grade public charter school. Our charter is home-based meaning parents serve as primary teachers for the core subjects. I assess, recommend curriculum, tutor in math, reading and writing, help parents with planning and paperwork, and so much more. It is truly a dynamic, challenging and fun job.

This is my third class at Wilkes and I am enjoying the journey. This past summer I completed Digital Storytelling and Digital Media in the Classroom-two excellent courses that I have already been able to incorporate into my job. My hopes are to utilize technology/media to help students enthusiastically learn core academic content while they respectfully and ethically work with others-becoming global citizens. I believe the use of media and newer technologies help educators attend to the various learning styles and abilities, encourage creativity and develop in students a love for lifelong learning. I look forward to what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment