Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Self-Evaluation


Let's take time to ponder........

Oh, the joys of evaluating yourself! I decided to use a rubric found on Educational Origami's "Bloom's Digital Taxonomy" website and tweak it to match my situation. The original was an evaluation of the use of Skype, a video conferencing tool.

I needed a slight change as my Livestream live broadcast was slightly different. The viewers could send me a text message, but mostly to ask questions or clarify. There was not a lot of two-way communication. I wanted to also be able to use this rubric for my Jr. High students as they give a live video "how-To" demonstration over our school channel.

I felt that although the original rubric had 3 essential parts: Preparation and Planning, Communication and Reflection, I wanted to also be able to evaluate content: the "actual" of what was presented, so I added a column for that. Within Content I noted whether their assignment was original or copied/quoted and accurate, among other things. I deleted some (unnecessary in my situation) pieces such as "There is some interruption and speaking over people." I also added a few pieces from Educational Origami's Podcasting rubric, such as the quality of production (background noise, etc.)


In the rubric I made for my Livestream broadcast, I scored 14 points out of 16 possible. I gave myself a 3 out of 4 in the Preparation and Planning due to the fact that I did not prepare any questions in advance for the audience and should have thought about having a moderator sitting next to me to read the text box in case a viewer had a question. It was challenging to present and have to keep checking the side for messages.

I gave myself a solid 4 in Content as I met the goals intended. I was original and added new information to the topic. The content was accurate and on topic.

I gave myself a 3 out of 4 in Communication. Although I made sure the sound, background noise and etiquette rules were adhered to, I was nervous and it showed. I also did not look directly into the camera. I tried to speak slowly and clearly, however.

I gave myself a 4 for Reflection. I appreciated the feedback from our instructor and the viewers. I have noted the improvements that need to be made and will make sure I take action on improving next time. I made it a point to review my preparation, goals, questions, process, communication and rules. Oh, and I completed* the rubric!
*Unfortunately, the rubric with my comments would not translate into my GoogleDocs page, so it appears to be more of a generic one, without my lovely decoration and added hilighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment